Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Daniel in the Lion's Den Redux

As a person of faith, I have been tempted in the past to invoke God in all sorts of situations. Whether in fear (dear Jesus, please don't let Bazil Bell beat the shit out of me) or anger (I hate you God! It's because of you dad won't buy me an acid wash jean jacket). Almost everytime, God in all three persons appeared to show an omnipresent apathy to all of my entreaties. It's because of this that I am not inclined to taunt God to dare strike me dead or expect him to get me out of a self-inflicted jam.

Unfortunately, this is a lesson that Yevheniy Kirilyuk will not live to learn the hard way. He showed a lot of balls when he climbed into the lion's den and expected God to intervene, but apparently female lions are not impressed with a man's balls and one promptly hoisted him on his own pitard by severing his carotid artery.

They are now saying he was suicidal and that may be true. I wonder though if there was a moment where he said, "Aw, shit. God is not going to save me."

No, free will strikes again. The God of the Old Testament is a jealous God and I think part of that jealousy manifests itself in an unwillingness to do the bidding of idiots. With any luck, Daniel will remind Yevheniy of this in heaven and point out that he didn't actually throw himself into the lion's den all those years ago. Maybe that's the crucial difference. En shalah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home