Tuesday, December 04, 2007

It Wasn't To Be

It's old news now, but I will post a brief follow-up. Turns out Hank Steinbrenner is a big, sorry sack of wind after all. Can't say I'm surprised, but I had really hoped that the Yankees would stick to their guns. But, no, they ended up signing A-rod to a new 10 year contract for 275,000,000. With incentives, that supposedly include a share in the marketing revenue, this contract could easily exceed 300 million.

Of all the things to marvel at, the thing I marvel at most is what was the second place bid? Was anyone else offering 274 million? How A-rod has managed to get a massive contract from a team that wasn't competing with anyone is astounding. If the Yankees would have stayed out, I bet A-rod would have ended up with a lot less, but the fictionalized Gordon Gekko-ism holds true once again, "Greed is good!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home