Monday, June 02, 2008

When 'The Strangers' Calls

I've been looking forward to the movie The Strangers since I first read about it in the Onion. The preview looked very promising. I've grown quite tired of the recent trend of torture and gore flicks created on the premise that teens want to see someone die via an elaborate set-up culminating in a particularly nasty coup de grace - such as falling off a ladder and landing eyeball-first on a broken wine bottle. Audiences do want to see these things, but the novelty tends to wear off - at least it had for me. The idea of a movie made with a relatively realistic premise (a home invasion) and delivered with an emphasis on spook rather than gore appeals to me.

I haven't seen the movie and this is not a review, but I must admit my enthusiasm has waned somewhat if only due to the casting. The victims are played by Scott Speedman and Liv Tyler. The ominous threat they face is in the form of three masked strangers played by Gemma Ward, Laura Margolis, and Kip Weeks. They remain masked for most, but not all, of the movie. Once those masks come off, most people would be quite delighted to be in the presence of such beauty.

The issue I have is, not having seen the movie mind you, just how threatening can Gemma Ward and Laura Margolis be? Liv is no Laila Ali, but surely she could kick Gemma Ward's ass. I call Kip and Scott a wash, but if I had to pick, my money would be on Scott.

I know anybody who can heft an axe is a threat, but ain't none of these three going down in horror film villain history.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I respect your opinion but you definately do have to see the movie in order to get the full effect.
You do not see the faces behind the masks in the movie because they are hidden either by darkness or camera angling.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This movie was amazing,
But even when they do take off thier masks you do not see their faces.
It is a Horrifying movie and they dont talk much.
You really have to pay attention to get the whole movie,
If you dont like Suspense then this movie is not for you, it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home